Sunday, August 30, 2009

Vous Embrassez La Culture (aka Embrace the Culture!)

First day of class! Off to French. The entire class is full of American students –from various study aboard programs. I’m so excited to further my understanding of this classic romantic language. Plus, it just may help with my daily communication attempts!

My second class, International Business Negotiations, only meets on Friday mornings and the professor is right up my alley! He’s a legal advisor to the Brussels Beer Festival. Previously, he’s been an executive with the World Bank, United Nations, and Citibank. I am looking forward to this practical course, as it is based on case studies and current affairs.

My roommates and I have been busy planning our trips for the semester. It’s an incredible experience, but more than anything, I’d like to enjoy Brussels and make it my home. I say that now, but I’m travelling about half my weekends abroad! Bruge and Prague are the first trips in September. For now, I’m all about Brussels.

Wednesday I went to Ogilvy PR to become acquainted with my assigned group of professionals where I learned about my upcoming responsibilities. The building is very chic and swanky, almost as if it is a dreamy office from a movie set! The Brussels Ogilvy not only serves as the PR base, but includes Ogilvy Advertising, Ogilvy One Worldwide, Ogilvy Interactive, and Ogilvy Internal Communications. I’ll have opportunities to work with all the departments, even while primarily with PR. The team at Ogilvy was extremely welcoming and encouraging. I am very grateful to work with this global leader, as it will expand my knowledge base and sharpen my skills, especially in political advocacy PR since they are the EU communications hub. Nevertheless, I am excited to work with other clients including Motorola, Kodak, American Express, Coca Cola, Ford, Club Med, etc. Their dynamic and extensive clientele will certainly test me to new limits and further my abilities professionally.

Friday evening, we left for the Vesalius campus, where the student government hosted a beer competition. The winner received a handle of vodka. Is this tailgating without the football? Do not fear – I did not participate. =)

Saturday, we ventured Brussels! From Palais Royal to Parc de Cinquantenaire. It was beautiful, but my roommates and I decided we like our cozy Rue Gray apartment any day. Too many paparazzi near the palace! Later that night, a group of us visited Le Corbeau for dinner. You can dance on the bars on Saturday night! I felt as if I were back in Greenville at the Blindhorse.

Another week and many new adventures are in the book. Can’t wait to share what I get into next week. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley:

    It sounds like you are having an exciting time in Brussels. It is such a beautiful place. I have just finished training 3 students for switchboard, 2 guys and a girl. One position is temporary so you can have that in January when you return. I miss you very much. Please be safe
    and I am really enjoying your blog.

    Cheers,

    cathy Gossett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash!!
    This post made me laugh so hard because I was thinking of some of the same comparisons you were. Too bad Furman can't host a beer drinking competition...I'd probably fair well with the girls competition here! :)

    I think Brussels sounds amazing and I wish I was there with you!

    Love you!
    Becks

    ReplyDelete