Sunday, August 23, 2009

From Tourist to Resident

Once you finish freshman orientation during your first year at college, most people think they are finished. Wrong! My classmates and I have so much to learn before classes begin Monday. Being at an international college is definitely different; it’ll be exciting to meet other students from other counties. It almost seems like we’re visiting those countries!

Thursday was especially entertaining since we had a day off to explore more unknown parts of Brussels. We had a personal tour guide from a Vesalius student to Louise, known for the finest fashions in the city. Needless to say, our wallets stayed in our purses. After our walk down the Belgian “Rodeo Drive”, we headed to Grand Place and shopping district. Of course, us girls had fun noting the stores we want to visit later. We returned via the metro and spent our last night at Hotel Derby, packing and getting to know our new friends at other universities in the EPA program.

Friday was moving day! Our apartments are in the south eastern area of Brussels. We are only two minutes from Place Jourdan, known for its Sunday market and delicious cafes. It’s especially nice to be settled in our new flat. I feel as if I were back at Furman, as our landlord decorated our apartment in pink! Since our apartment building is full of Furman students, we’ve enjoyed relaxing on our terraces and mingling in the halls. Reminds me of dorm life, but European style.

The reminder of Friday was interesting - I am the first person of our group to get lost on the bus system. What a surprise, LOL. On my way back from meeting with my Vesalius adviser, I missed my bus stop. Apparently, if you don’t press a tiny blue button, they do not stop. And to top it all off, I was too busy enjoying the scenery to notice until I was halfway to Grand Place. In my bittersweet adventure, I was too scared to get back on another bus (there are at least 100 routes in Brussels and they don’t just go in a circle!). Thank goodness for Verizon’s global navigator! I can honestly say it’s been my lifesaver. Rather than playing the lost tourist, I strolled through a nearby park and reached my apartment after a pleasant twenty minute walk. I do not advocate this mode of transport, but it certainly got me from A to B. =)

Saturday was the three hour tour of Brussels. Thankfully, this three hour tour didn’t end in a lost minnow. The bus tour went all over the city, but I think it confused me even more! Of course, now I have lots of places to return to visit. The tour ended at the Atomium, built for Brussels’ World Fair in 1958. During the summer, the Atomium offers a “Death Ride” – a quarter of a mile zip line from the very peak of the Atomium. Since you probably can’t fathom this outrageous stunt, check out the link: http://www.brusselslife.be/E/article/id/1951. Several Furman students want to try it. Needless to say, I’ll be taking photos safely from ground level.

My personal favorite day of the week in Brussels is Sunday. The city has several outdoor markets, including one at Place Jourdan. My roommates and I headed to buy groceries and browse the vendors. The largest market in the city is located at Gare du Midi, selling everything from fresh fruits and veggies to flowers and from clothes to household items. It may not be Walmart or Target, but the markets are the heart of the city, offering everything for bargain shoppers (or college students on a budget!). More posts to come, but now I’m off to our back terrace to enjoy strawberries and fresh brie from my Sunday market outing. The photo shows you a glimpse at our view. Wish you all were here!

1 comment:

  1. Strawberries and fresh brie paired with terrace views and open air markets sound picture perfect. Missing your bus stop leads to an exciting escapade. Your brussels' experience becoming ours as you share. Enjoy and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete