Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My First Steps



As the plane landed in Brussels, reality final struck. On the plane and through the airport, it was apparent I am American. From the beginning, Belgians were very friendly. Maybe because I stuck out like a sore thumb as I was wondering around the airport trying to comprehend the French and Dutch signs.

The hotel is truly like the “European Vacation” movie, especially the concierges. Hehe. The small quarters where you can barely squeeze through the halls and stairs is not an urban myth. My suitcases didn’t even fit through the doors. On the first day, my roommates and I blew a fuse with our hair straighter. The concierge and I had an interesting time communicating, but needless to say we were able to reach a conclusion.

Surprisingly, my roommates and I did not have too much jet lag, so we started exploring the city. All the buildings are unique with lots of character. We felt as though we were in Disney World since the buildings look like a fairytale and are close together, towering overhead. Grand Place is just like a postcard. Later that evening, there was a lightshow at the Hotel De’Ville, which is also known as the town hall and located in the Grand Place. Belgians and tourists just sit on the cobble stone road watching the lightshow. It felt like the 4th of July.

After the lightshow, a few of us headed out to try out the nightlife. The energetic streets and live music, paired with the old-fashioned bars, make the atmosphere like nothing else. A former Belgium Internship Program participant told us about a bar called Delirium, a young trendy bar with live music each night and known for a world record in the number of types of beers sold (of course, it’s Brussels!). Since none of us knows French (yet!), one member of our group asked a Belgian “Delirium?” and they took us there! Though some of the citizens seem frustrated with our English, most locals have been very helpful and kind.

Monday was our first group meeting. It was exciting and nerve-racking all at the same time. Some of our group found out our internship assignments – myself included =) I’ll be working for Ogilvy Public Relations. It is a worldwide firm and they are the EU communications hub. Check out their website: www.ogilvypr.com or www.ogilvy.be . I am really looking forward to this opportunity, especially since they have offices around the world.

Today, we had our housing meeting and the official tour of the European Union. The EU buildings surely stick out with their modern windows and architecture. Since most EU members are taking their summer vacation, our “American voices” were the only ones to echo the lonely halls. Needless to say, I was grateful to have the opportunity to see where EU policy begins; especially being that this will be my home for the next four months.

Tomorrow we have our orientation for Vesalius College, which is part of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, the Free Dutch University of Brussels. Wish my classmates and I luck as we start our international education! =)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley:
    It was very good to hear from you and to know that you arrived safely. Brussels sounds like a beautiful place. Keep us posted and hope that you and your friends have a beautiful and safe trip!

    Take Care & Miss You!
    Cathy Gossett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what you will be doing at Ogilvy. They are lucky to have you cause Jan won't get here fast enough for me. How is the Blackberry? Be safe, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved your update. We can picture you there and can't wait to read more. What a cool internship.

    Love,

    Jeff and Ellen

    ReplyDelete