Sunday, September 6, 2009

1st Week of September = Belgian Beer Festival


Tuesday was my first day at Ogilvy! I attended a staff meeting and familiarized myself with their agency. I read last year’s annual report to gain understanding of Ogilvy PR’s relations and workings with the EU. From there, I assisted with what I like to call “official work.” Since I have only basic knowledge of the EU and its intricate workings, time spent was invaluable. Additionally, I’m not familiar with the European media or news sources; consequently I invested much of my time in reading background information. Needless to say, culture differences were evident, but it’s so important to learn about other societies in this global world. Hopefully, in a few weeks I’ll be able to say I’m getting the hang of it! Wish me luck! =)

Friday was the beginning of the Belgian Beer Festival in Brussels! And my professor of International Business Negotiations is VIP! Saturday we attended the festival parade and saw some “unusual characters”. From the photos, you can make your own opinions! Haha

College football began this week and I’m happy to be spending Sunday morning catching up on the scores! Glad to hear the OSU Football team is 1 for 1! Next week – USC! Go Buckeyes =)

Life in a foreign country is becoming more and more real every day. Of course, some things remind me of home – the ice cream truck visits our neighborhood regularly each evening and taxi cabs still come close to running over pedestrians. Some days I even forget I’m in Europe! But as soon as I enter the hustle and bustle of the metro station, reality sinks in. While walking the cobble stone streets, it continuously surprises me when I hear songs from the 90s in new techno form. My roommates and I often question if many people here even understand the lyrics they sing…

This experience is more exciting than I imagined, yet more overwhelming than I can fathom. The culture differences seem more pronounced this week - from learning UK English for my internship to hearing Belgians whisper “American” as I pass by on several occasions. Nevertheless, each day is a new experience, filled with questions and answers to guide me through this journey. Being in an international environment is truly the chance to gain insight of other cultures and grow as a person. And now, there’s a fire burning brightly inside of me. I’m here for 4 months. I thought I was ready for this adventure before I boarded the plane, but some things in life have a way of surprising you.


No comments:

Post a Comment