Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Victor Hugo Knows Best!


As I mentioned in my previous post, two of my friends from Furman , one who grew up in Brussels, were in Brussels this week. What a wonderful time! As much as I’m enjoying my time abroad, it’s nice to have familiar faces in a crowd who speaks local languages! Plus, having a native to be your personal tour guide surely helps.

During our Furman European Studies course, Jonathan Addleton, a career member of the US Senior Foreign Service since 1984 and Counselor for International Development at the US Mission to the European Union in Brussels spoke to us. He’s served as USAID Mission Director in Pakistan, Cambodia and Mongolia. Mr. Addleton also worked briefly at the World Bank, Macon Telegraph and Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. It was truly interesting to hear about Europe affairs and intercultural relations from an expert in this field.

This weekend, I visited Luxembourg. The small country definitely does not get enough tourism credit! Luxembourg City landscape has several tiers and is an absolutely breathtaking city! Plus, the fortifications built around the valley make you feel like you’re walking back in time. On Saturday, we went to several cities including Ettelbruck (known for the General Patton Museum), Vianden (with the Vianden Castle and home of Victor Hugo), Echternach (Little Switzerland) and Greiveldange (wine vineyards). Yes, the country is that small that we went to four cities in one day.

Vianden is now my all-time favorite place. With a population of 1,500, the city is magical like my childhood Disney fairytale equipped wit the castle looking over the city. We took a chair lift over the Our Valley and were able to gaze down at the castle. It was beautiful from high above, but not the most comforting… As for the next step, we hiked down to the castle. For those of you who know me, I CERTAINLY was not dressed for hiking! Mind you, I was wearing skinny jeans, dress shoes, and a pashmina. Nevertheless, I arrived safely! The Viaden Castle was built between the 11th and 14th centuries. Victor Hugo’s home overlooks the Our River and his desk looks directly at the Viaden Castle. No wonder he wanted to share this place! And as you can see from the photos, the town is absolutely magnificent. I feel like these photos are much better than any words I can say.

On our way back from our day trips, we ran into other students participating in the Brussels program. Though Luxembourg City is not known for its nightlife, it has its fair share of techno dance clubs. It’s fair to say I would not be caught dancing to techno with glo-sticks, but what happens in Luxembourg stays in Luxembourg. Saturday evening was quite a surprise – who would have thought quiet, little Luxembourg would be so fun!

From the remainder of our Luxembourg stay on Sunday, we visited the casemates, which are a 21km network of underground passages made from the solid rock. During the 17th and 18th centuries, the tunnels housed thousands of defenders, horses, artillery workshops, slaughterhouses, kitchens, bakeries, and equipment. The casemates earned the title of the “Gibraltar of the North". You could truly get lost for days in these winding dark passages!

Sunday was also “no car day” in Brussels, as part of the European Mobility Week. During this day lots of activities about mobility will be proposed teach alternative ways of traffic: train, cycle, streetcar, buses, skates, etc. My French professor calls it “party in the streets day.” Plus, it’s simple to get from one destination to another, given that public transportation, including bus, metro and tram, are free. With my recent environment research for Ogilvy PR and my former internship at the Cliffs Cottage at Furman (a sustainable showcase home), the concept of a no car day seems like a great way to motivate citizens to be physically active while improving quality of environment. It amazes me how Europe is so focused on the environment and the positive impact of its citizens participation.

This week, Exki, a chain of Belgian health restaurants, is becoming my home with its free WiFi. Our internet at our charming Rue Grey apartments has been out for a few days. At least, I’m learning to live and eat as a local! My roommate and I are headed to Prague this weekend. If any of you have suggestions for us, please be sure to comment! =)

1 comment:

  1. Wait...you did NOT dance with glo sticks to techno music?? You are no friend of mine. I have an amazing Italian techno mix for you when you return; it sounds like you'll be down for it. I'll bring the Duvel, you bring the glo sticks.
    (of course the part of the blog I comment on is regarding European dance clubs)

    Love,
    Becks

    ReplyDelete