Friday, November 20, 2009

Open Eyes, Open Mind

Three weeks. Merely 21 days remain of my European adventure. During the past fourteen weeks, I have embraced the opportunities presented to me – studying at a European institute, interacting and collaborating with people from all cultures, working in an international agency, travelling as often as possible, becoming a resident of a country halfway around the world from what I call home.

While I’ve been making the most of each moment, part of me has continuously missed Dublin and Greenville, my hometowns. But now that I’ve spent nearly a third of 2009 in Brussels, I’ve grown fond of this new place, new home. From the familiar faces on the daily metro commute or the French greetings at the nearby bakery, I’m going to miss this place. Europe constantly challenges you in new ways. Between diverse languages, differences in cultures, outspoken government stances, and mixes of social values, the hub of the European Union, Brussels, combines rich history and ambitions for the world’s future, socially and politically.

What sparked my recent reflection about a city I’ve been living in for over three months? My mom’s departure. Throughout her trip, she was consistently excited and open to any new thing we encountered. Unlike most tourists, it wasn’t merely about the seeing the sites and monuments, it was more about taking in the way of life, traditions, and growing from the experiences. Needless to say, this observation stuck with me – something so simple, yet so powerful. I only hope to continue this mindset, fully appreciating each day and the opportunities it brings.

1 comment:

  1. Yes embracing each day's opportunities leads to a full life of growing and giving.

    ReplyDelete